Friday, January 30, 2015

three poets who might change your life

Behind My Eyes by Li-young Lee
lush and interesting poetry, which explores the immigrant experience and family. the way he ties in nature is really fascinating.
poems like the end of autumn
the lake keeps changing its mind / undecided between the word for the end of August / and the color just before grapes ripen





Selected Poems by William Carlos Williams
yes, yes he has been mentioned here before, I'm sure. still, he really influenced the way I see poetry. he does so very much with so few words.
poems like Sunday morning 
I have eaten / the plums / that were in / the icebox / and which / you were probably / saving / for breakfast / Forgive me / they were delicious / so sweet / and so cold



A Village Life by Louise Glück 
glück's poems are incredibly peaceful and interesting. they draw especially from simple domestic scenes which I think makes them all the more powerful.
poems that feel like a quiet summer evening.
The sea doesn't change as the earth changes / it doesn't lie. / You ask the sea, what can you promise me / and it speaks the truth; it says erasure



8 comments:

  1. I love this post. Poetry is something that I always felt went over my head until recently. I'm spending more and more time in the poetry section of the book store so this post is so helpful! I recently stumbled across your blog and I love it! You've got great taste! I've nominated your for the Liebster award thingy. Its silly but fun and a cool way to find more blogs to read!

    (http://apeachykeenday.blogspot.com/2015/01/liebster-award.html)
    Hope you have a peachy keen day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I feel like sometimes people make poetry out to be some special elite thang when really its just another way of putting words together, hehe.
      that is so sweet! much appreciated c:

      Delete
  2. this post is beautiful, I love poetry, and i'm so happy you decided to talk about these amazing artists. my favorite poetry is the type where reading just a few words makes everything around you stop (even for a moment), and I think that last louise gluck poem did that. another one of my favorites is e.e. cummings (and now you are and now i am and we're a mystery which will never happen again), and maxine hong kingston (she's not a poet by definintion, but she writes books like 'the woman warrior' that are filled with poetic moments).

    // kani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! thats so true and so perfect, I know the feeling and the way a few words keep spinning through your mind. I love e.e. cummings too! I will have to check out the last one, thanks for the recommendation

      Delete
  3. ahhh your blog is so fucking lovely
    http://dymondmag.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks so much! & right back at you for sure

      Delete
  4. Li-Young Lee! I read him for my AP english class (we did A Story) and it introduced me to his FREAKING BRILLIANCE! It's so cool you mentioned him here! We also did William Carlos Williams who I appreciate, but just ain't my shindig for poetry. I haven't heard of the last one but will def check him out.

    Rad.

    http://sonjatitanic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete