Thursday, January 8, 2015

december favorites



Ida is a Polish film about an orphan on the verge of becoming a nun, when she discovers a dark secret about her past. This film was so beautiful--the silliness and use of silence was incredible. It almost didn't feel like a foreign film because there was so little dialogue. Every shot felt like it was individually crafted and the choice of black and white was excellent.










This band is pretty specular-- think they are a great balance between "thinking music" and just being really tender and calming. I guess they make me feel a whole lot of different ways. I am a big fan of this acoustic version of Trying to Sleep (see above) and their song Australia







The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows is a tumblr and more recently a spectacular youtube channel. They take specific feelings from various languages and translate them into English. Somehow they pinpoint all these really interesting moods that are hard to place a finger on. 

5 comments:

  1. Seriously, how have I not heard of Attic Abasement before now? And that song's pretty darn appropriate for insomnia like right now :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHHH wow. I love your blog, and you seem to love water colours too! They are like my life, in fact you have inspired me to post my pictures more as well as photos. I like really want to follow, but I can't find the button which is really annoying, where is it?! I am going to follow your tumblr in the mean time until I find it haha. Oh also that film looks really interesting, I think I might watch it tonight. Actually today at uni we watched this film in a lecture called The Fall, and it was so amazing! I had never heard of it and I can't figure out why more people haven't watched/ heard of it, so anyway check it out, it is quite beautiful in a different sort of way to this Polish one though. Anyway, sorry that was so long x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you likey! haha, there's a subscribe button on the sidebar at the bottom which may help? I use bloglovin' which i would recommend x100, it feeds my blog addiction. that film sounds really interesting! I will add it to my to watch list (endless lol)

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to see Ida. Now that you reference the silence and the black and white, I wish I would have made it a priority to see it on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete