Thursday, October 30, 2014

recent reads in three sentences or less // fall


This season is by far the best for reading, I feel not yet resentful towards the chill and finally learned how to make a latte (way overdue!). Here are some quick recommendations for books I have enjoyed recently. 

     

Bluets by Maggie Nelson (pictured left)

Bluets it is an ode to the color blue and a mourning of lost love all in one. It takes the form of a numbered list, in some grey area between poetry and prose. This book is the kind that changes you, not just the way you see writing but also on a very personal level-- definitely one of my favorites ever. 

“Mostly I have felt myself becoming a servant of sadness. I am still looking for the beauty in that.” 

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (pictured right)

This book was really wonderful, but it took a slow first half before I felt invested in the characters. Still, it is beautifully written, and balances intellectual with entertaining. It speaks to a human sense of isolation which extends beyond what divides us superficially.  I thought it was well-written and enjoyable

“I have finally concluded, maybe that's what life is about: there's a lot of despair, but also the odd moment of beauty, where time is no longer the same. It's as if those strains of music created a sort of interlude in time, something suspended, an elsewhere that had come to us, an always within never. Yes, that's it, an always within never.” 




      

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

The romance part of this book is really "ur not lyke the other girls" but BOY DOES IT KNOW A LIL SOMETHING ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL. Really, guys, I don't think I have eve seen a book quite capture the daily high school grind like this one. It also has incredibly beautiful illustrations. 

“I was stupid, the official descriptive phrase for happy.”



Bobcat & Other Stories by Rebecca Lee

This book was so artfully composed; these stories that are simple in plot but complex in emotion. It is also a book that makes you smile despite all the sadness and struggle it contains. A must-read, especially for fans of Alice Munro. 

“This is the whole problem with words. There is so little surface area to reveal whom you might be underneath, how expansive and warm, how casual, how easygoing, how cool, and so it all comes out a little pathetic and awkward and choked.” 

4 comments:

  1. I loved "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" and "Why We Broke Up", and I'll definitely look into the others! Lovely post- I like how you summed the books up so concisely but still giving a good idea of what they are like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Definitely worth checking out :) Let me know what you think x

      Delete
  2. Oh my goooooooooooooooood. I really really have to get my hands on these books. "...servant of sadness" and "an always within in never," that is so, so beautiful. Ugh. What voodoo are you practicing to find these beauties?
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT ITS ALMOST PAINFUL HOW PRETTY hahah not sure! but definitely on some kind of roll here :3

      Delete